how to measure/alter surface charge of algal cells??

Dr Donald J Baird djb1 at dee02.stir.ac.uk
Wed Aug 31 11:54:43 EST 1994

I'm working on a project on the interaction between freshwater microalgae and
pollutants, and effects on natural grazing systems. I'm specifically interested
in studying the relationship between surface charge on algal cells and their
ability to bind pollutants - does anyone know any nifty techniques for (a)
measuring the surface charge on algal cells and/or, even better, (b) altering
it (either by physical, or non-toxic chemical methods) ? All (sensible)
suggestions welcome!
--
Donald Baird                    Voice:     +786 467926
Environment/Systems Group       Fax  :     +786 472133
Institute of Aquaculture        Email:     djb1 at stirling.ac.uk
Stirling University
Scotland FK9 4LA