how to measure/alter surface charge of algal cells??

Steven L. Manley slmanley at csulb.edu
Wed Aug 31 18:25:27 EST 1994

Dr Donald J Baird (djb1 at dee02.stir.ac.uk) wrote:
: I'm working on a project on the interaction between freshwater microalgae and
: pollutants, and effects on natural grazing systems. I'm specifically interested
: in studying the relationship between surface charge on algal cells and their
: ability to bind pollutants - does anyone know any nifty techniques for (a)
: measuring the surface charge on algal cells and/or, even better, (b) altering
: it (either by physical, or non-toxic chemical methods) ? All (sensible)
: suggestions welcome!
: --
: Donald Baird                    Voice:     +786 467926
: Environment/Systems Group       Fax  :     +786 472133
: Institute of Aquaculture        Email:     djb1 at stirling.ac.uk
: Stirling University
: Scotland FK9 4LA
:
: * * * * * * * * * * * * * NeXTMail Welcome! * * * * * * * * * *
sorry i cant answer it directly..it is really a tough problem. just
remember that almost all of the surface charge will be negative due to
the nature of the cell wall polysaccharides. good luck!

Steven L. Manley, slmanley at csulb.edu
Dept. of Biol. Sci., Calif. St. Univ.
Long Beach, Ca USA  90840-4806
310-985-1568; FAX 310-985-2315