Race-Related IQ

matt spitzer mwspitze at uci.edu
Thu Dec 1 12:19:32 EST 1994

In article <3bksns$bje at nntp1.u.washington.edu>, toby at u.washington.edu (Toby
Bradshaw) wrote:

>  The power
> of modern genetics is that the details of the phenotype do not *necessarily*
> have to be understood in advance.  The phenotype must be defined, though,
> and without question that's the biggest hangup for "intelligence".  We
> don't have to agree that the totality of what we call "intelligence" can
> be defined, but if we can agree that some component of "intelligence" can
> be defined and measured, its genetic basis can be understood if there is
> variation for it in human populations.

I think we're in agreement about the definition being the big problem.  But
my question is this:  Suppose that general intelligence does not exist, and
that IQ simply represents an average of performance on a number of
independent cognitive tasks.  Then what do we gain by using the composite
score, as opposed to the list of individual test scores? It seems to me
that the profile of individual test scores would provide much more
information.