The 'Ubileen' pear from Bulgaria - Need Info

Joseph Postman postmanj at ava.bcc.orst.edu
Tue Dec 6 02:13:11 EST 1994

    I would like some help from pomologists in Eastern Europe, or
elsewhere, who might know something about the Pear cultivar "Ubileen".
This is a European Pear that was imported into the United States from
Bulgaria about 30 years ago, and is growing in our temperate fruit
germplasm collection in Corvallis, Oregon.  We have no information,
other than a name, to go with this cultivar.  It is an early ripening
pear, several weeks before Bartlett (or Williams), and even ripens before
Clapp Favorite or Butirra Precoce Morettini.  The fruit is especially
large for this early season, pyriform in shape, ripens to green/yellow
with a red blush on the sunny side.

   Does anyone know the Ubileen pear?  I would like to know where and
when it originated, the pedigree (if it is from a deliberate cross) and
the name of the breeder, other names or synonyms, and any other
historical information.

Thanks,  Joseph

       Joseph D. Postman	|	N ational	       /
      -PLANT PATHOLOGIST-	|	C lonal		     / \   Eat More
     postmanj at bcc.orst.edu	|	G ermplasm	    /   \   Fruit!
     corjp at sol.ars-grin.gov	|	R epository	    \ _ /