Getting buffed?

Zia A. Dehqanzada sac70569 at saclink1.csus.edu
Tue Dec 6 17:37:27 EST 1994

Hi everyone-
I'm an undergraduate in CSUS and am studying biology.  Throughout my
undergraduate anatomy classes, I've learned that muscles are built of
myofibrils which are built from sarcomeres, and I am very familiar with
all of that.  In the gym, however, my trainer keeps telling me that
getting buffed is not due to getting more MUSCLE, but instead due to the
existing muscles fibers getting larger in size due to the extra demand
placed upon it.  Does anyone have any detailed info on this matter?  I'm
getting confused and really want to know what happens when muscle gets
bigger due to working out!  Where do the extra sarcomeres, actin and
myosin filaments come from?  If I know my anatomy correctly, there is
only so many filaments in each sarcomere and so many sarcomeres in each
myofibril and so on...
Thanks in advance
Zia Dehqanzada
sac70569 at saclink1.csus.edu