=post

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Thu Dec 8 00:35:20 EST 1994

I live on the periphery of a large university.  I have been in some
regular contact with failed academics of one sort or another. It really is
a matter of the chicken or the egg.  Did they fail because of a lower
level of intellectual functioning and/or various mental problems?  If they
failed simply because there were more of them (than there were available
position suitable to their status), how do they adjust. Do they lose
intellectual function.  I'm not even talking about the worst cases, the
ones who end up on diasability, but say someone who gets a job at SUN TV
or at a warehouse and blends back into the regular community.  A few
academics hangs out with the marginals,  but a surprising number (who have
a secure position in the academic community) wouldn't even think of having
anything to do with these rejects.

	In any case, a certain level of protection is needed to nuture and
even buffer the academically gifted. A certain kind of family that at
least allows access to the library, a computer, and other necessaries, is
certainlly necessary.  I have heard horrible stories of intellectuals in
other cultures.  The brightest often do not come from the best
backgrounds.  Academic failure for these people often means banishment (to the
honey fields) and even an early death. They're not used to the work.  Some
of their hands are so soft.

	It is my own opinion that the most gifted (with the most genes for
intellectual achievment) in lower class Appalachian and black
communities are on the disability roles.  Since welfare and foster mothers are
now
paid a premium for their disabled children (the longer you fight for your
diabled child's money, the bigger your lump payment).  Now the smartest of
you. THINK WHAT YOUR MOTHER WOULD HAVE DONE WITH YOU IF YOU WERE NOTHIN IN
HEAD START - AND SHE HAD THE SMARTS TO WORK THE SYSTEM TO BOOT.

	Intelligence doesn't seem to be all that uncommon.  This is some
interesting literature about what the trip over from Africa did to
various groups.  To simplify it,  those people who tolerated a high salt
diet  survived in greater numbers with a nasty little payoff in their
later years of life.  I don't think those with those high intelligence
genes were winnowed out.

	There is a lot of talk about orphanages these days.  It would be
very interesting if certain adaptions would be made for the very
intelligent.  People could just come in and read stories to the children -
of their own choice; and the children could decide who to listen to.  If
some fool came in and started blathering about a molecule or something,
I'm sure most of the children would leave just as they would in any
daycare center.

	Nobody is concrete enough about these things.  I thought I'd stir
things up a little bit
--
By for now,

Cindy