(fwd) *** HIV DOES NOT CAUSE AIDS ***

Naomi Gayle Housman nhousma at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
Mon Dec 12 03:36:53 EST 1994

I am currently doing AIDS research at the  dreaded C.D.C  in Atlanta,
GA.  My research focus is AIDS pathogenesis an I would like to highlight
several points regarding the good doctor Peter's hypothesis that HIV does
not cause AIDS.  Incidentally, he came here to Emory Univ. to give a
lecture on what exactly his hypothesis was regarding the non-retroviral
origin of AIDS.  I found his talk to be <1% enlightening and 99%
unfortunate, not so much in his beliefs but rather in his obnoxious
delivery.  NO!! I don't agree with his interesting yet profoundly flawed
theories, however, there are some interesting points that his arguements
raise that only now are being addressed by the AIDS research community
(if I dare call it a community- it's more like a dysfunctional family!).

For instance he raises the interesting issue of why HIV-1, no matter what
strain you use, does not cause disease in Chimpanzees which are the
closest animals to humans-particularly with respect to their immune
system (structure as well as function).  The other point he raises
concerns the overuse (I would strongly agree) of the ever so toxic AZT.
This drug probably does more harm than good as it is well known now that
AZT can only delay disease progression, and only for certain individuals
depending upon their individual disease stage, and yet is very toxic as
it was never meant to be an anti-viral Rx (it was originally meant for
cancer Rx).  Additionally HIV-1 has demonstrated an unusual ability to
develop mutations within the RT gene (reverse transcriptase) the very
protein that AZT is designed to inhibit.  As drug resistant mutations
accumulate within HIV-1's RT the patient's viral load (amount of virus
floating around) increases and those viruses are non responsive to the
Rx.  At this point, the only thing AZT Rx is doing is inhibiting well
needed Tcell function.  So in this respect, and only this respect, I
agree with the good doctor.

However, back to the original thought regarding why HIV-1 does not cause
disease in Chimpanzees, there is some momentum within the research
community that there are certain viral determinant encoded within the
genome of HIV-1 that cause it to be pathogenic for human T cells but not
other primate species.  Along these lines, it is of interest that not all
strains of SIV cause disease identically in Rhesus Macaques.  In fact
there is one particular strain of SIV that causes AIDS in Rhesus monkeys
within 2-3 weeks!!  Wow!!   Yet despite the differences in viurlence or
rather pathogenicity of these SIV's they all infect monkey CD4+ Tcells
and presumably macrophages (although that is a topic of heated debate).
The point is if we assume, safely I contend, that these viruses HIV-1 and
SIV have evolved over the course of a great deal of time to adapt to
their hosts, then the corollary may be that because of their respective
molecular evolution, they may cause disease or be pathogenic only in
their native host due to environemtnal or selective pressures enforced
upon their genomes.  Viruses need to survive too! At least from their
point of view the need to survive may drive their selective
mutation/evolution so that they become pathogenic only within familiar
landscapes.  This may offer some insight into the animal model issue with
regards to Dr. Duesberg's hypothesis and AIDS pathogenesis.

Currently it is not known how the virus kills T cells although there are
some plausible ideas.  These range from T cell apoptosis/anergy to
molecular mimicry and autoimmunity.  For instance recently there was a
paper published in P.N.A.S. that described the increased presence of
auto-antibodies that cross react with HIV gp120, the envelope, and normal
T cell receptor epitopes.  It may well be that HIV mediates its
pathogenic effects in very subtle ways, unlike other viral agents.

There was an excellent response to the good doctor's hypothesis regarding
HIV and AIDS written by Geoffrey Hoffman (I believe that's how it is
spelled) that counters Duesberg's ideas point by point.  If you search
medline for Hoffman, G. I believe you will find several articles that
offer a refutation that is worth reading.  If you would give me a day or
two I could find the article lying around here, I know I have it.  You
can e-mail me back at nhousma at unix.cc.emory.edu any time to discuss these
or any other ideas regarding HIV and AIDS.  Until then.....

Keep searching, the truth is out there...............

(can you hear the music ??)

In article <3c5ii8$paf at garuda.csulb.edu> you wrote:
: ***ANY COMMENTS FROM THE AIDS RESEARCHERS? OTHERS?***