GENETICS VS WILL and DESIRE

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu
Tue Dec 13 15:19:48 EST 1994

In article <mluketic.787035568 at sfu.ca>,
mluketic at kits.sfu.ca (Milan Luketic) writes:
>[snip]
>Thesis Statement:  A person who wishes to be tall and concentrates
>		   on it constantly will in the end be a little taller
>                   than if s/he did not have the desire to be tall.
>

>POINT: DNA preprograms a persons height, an thus cannot be changed
>       regardless of any other influences.
>
>COUNTERPOINT: Emotions and mental state can indirectly have a large influence
>        on the bodies chemistry, and therefore can increase the chances of
>        reaching full potential for growth and can exceed that potential
>        on a limited basis. A persons mental state can favour certain reactions
>        to go to completion.

Dear Milan,
	Although it is true that people on average have been getting taller,
aparently as a result of environmental factors (better diet, fewer diseases,
etc.), it is doubtful that merely concentrating specifically on being taller
will make a difference.  By that I mean that a person who concentrates on
being taller will show the same effect as one who concentrates on being shor-
ter.  Obviously, one who wishes to be taller and exercises and/or diets ac-
cordingly, might see some benefits.  However, the changes in body chemistry
would seem to be non-specific.  Perhaps, being happy will have a beneficial
effect on body chemistry, and the person who is happy with her/his height will
get taller while the person unhappy with his/her height will not.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol