GENETICS VS WILL and DESIRE

stodgell at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu stodgell at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Dec 15 15:15:04 EST 1994

In article <mluketic.787035568 at sfu.ca>, mluketic at kits.sfu.ca (Milan Luketic) writes:
> This topic has caused turmoil in a small circle of people and
> is now taken to the international level to be resolved.
>
> Thesis Statement:  A person who wishes to be tall and concentrates
> 		   on it constantly will in the end be a little taller
>                    than if s/he did not have the desire to be tall.
>

> POINT: DNA preprograms a persons height, an thus cannot be changed
>        regardless of any other influences.
>
> COUNTERPOINT: Emotions and mental state can indirectly have a large influence
>         on the bodies chemistry, and therefore can increase the chances of
>         reaching full potential for growth and can exceed that potential
>         on a limited basis. A persons mental state can favour certain reactions
>         to go to completion.
>
> If there is anybody who could settle this discussion once and for all...
> PLEASE DO SO!
>
> Milan  .
>

> --

Interesting, but I don't think height is the best example.  I have long
believed that an individual can alter his brain "wiring" and neurochemistry
such that it is stuck in a particular state, so to speak.  For example, if
a person is depressed (which is at times normal for everyone) but they dwell
on this depression for an extended period of time they can rewire and alter
the neurochemistry such that the person is now clinically depressed.  Some
supporting evidence for rewiring of the brain comes from the environmental
enrichment literature where it has been demonstrated that learning of new
tasks can induce synaptogenesis and angiogenisis.  So why not?  A counter
arguement to this would be that the person was predisposed to depression and
the environment pushed them over the edge.  IMHO the former is a more
compelling idea.

Here's another idea along the same lines.  Can an individuals ability to learn
and capacity for memory be determined by the environmental nature of the
parent.  Basically the idea is this:  Many cell systems are malliable (sp?) to
the environment.  Neuronal, hormonal, immune cells have all been shown to
respond to the environment.  So why not sex cells.  Would it not be possible
for the sperm and egg to be altered by the environment?  Maybe not changing
the geneotype but rather the phenotype.  Then presumable individuals living
in a "good" environment or having a relatively stress free life if mated with
similar individuals would have children with an increased capacity for learning
and memory.

I don't know, it just a thought.

All replies appreciated.
Chris