Link between genetics and obesity?

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu
Wed Dec 14 19:22:52 EST 1994

In article <prwr001D0qFqD.Iyv at netcom.com>,
prwr001 at netcom.com (Robert W. Row) writes:

>           I was just wondering if obesity has been linked in any way to the
>person's genetics. I can think of several ways, ie fat not being burned at an
>optimum rate or having more calories going there in the first place, but has a
>specific link been proven? [snip]
>
>Rick

Dear Rick,
	I don't know about humans, but obese mice can maintain their weight
on ~1/3 the normal amount of food.  The mechanism is metabolism of aldehydes;
i.e. each gram of food yields more than the usual number of dietary calories.
Similar genes are speculated to be in the human genome and would have obvious
utility in a famine.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol