Properties of Xenopus laevis oocytes

Alan Neely phyan at
Tue Dec 20 15:17:25 EST 1994

> Hello Netters!
> 	People around here have been talking about various properties of
> Xenopus laevis oocytes, particularily since many here and elsewhere are
> using them as a RNA expression system.  I/we have been unable to / are
> unaware of a comprehensive listing of basic properties of the oocyte.
> Is there such a composite list or paper(s) ?????  If not, such a thing
> would be of great value.
> 	Perhaps there is also interest in starting "yet another"
> any suggestions or interest???
> see ya,
> mike

There is articel by DASCAL
1. Dascal, N.
The use of Xenopus oocytes for the study of ion channels.
CRC Crit.Rev.Biochem. 22:317-387, 1987.

And there is volume 206 of method of enzymolgy:"ion channels"
and  Volume 36 of Methods in cell biology: Xenopus laevis: practical
usues in cell and molecular biology.
The last one is more o less focussed on development.

But all this together are far from a comprehensive listing..

Alan Neely
Assis. Prof.
TTUHSC dept. Physiology
phyan at