rats

Steve Chambers steve at chambers.ak.planet.co.nz
Sun Dec 18 20:08:20 EST 1994

In <01HKNIY7AO068Y5GZH at VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU> LOOT at VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU (ALICE LOO) writes:
>Does anyone know of any method to determine the age
>of any rat? I did a study on aging using barrier-raised
>rats, and a question put to me by my thesis commitee
>was that would I be able to determine the age of say
>a sewer/wild rat presented to me. I have no clue.
>Any idea?

I've heard that age can be reliably determined by measuring the degree
of spontaneous racemization of amino acids in any protein not
replaced during life - in teeth for example.  Sorry, I've no references
and I've no idea what's the best way to go about it.

Steve

--
(I_lurk,_therefore_I_am!_\ ,,,                    Steve Chambers
                          (o o)   steve at chambers.ak.planet.co.nz