Need help on HS project on genetic engineering

EVS Consultants evswa at halcyon.halcyon.com
Thu Dec 22 10:39:38 EST 1994

   Dr. Michael Cooley < mbcooley at ucdavis.edu > wrote:

> Ok, first we need to clear up a few problems with terminology. Scientists
> have never created a bacterium. The term created is like made; it does
> not describe what they did. A bacterium is a very complicated organism
> and it's alive. We do not (and probably never will be able to) create
> life. I don't know what exactly was done with this bacterium, but it was
> probably fairly mild in comparison to today's standard. I have heard its
> is still being used. I will post the question.

Dr. Cooley (M.D. or Ph.D. and what discipline?) was correct to state that
scientists have not created a bacterium.  However, they have been
suggestful at placing genes in a plasmid and inserting the plasmid in
bacterial cells.  This is relatively easy (often conducted as an
experiment for microbiology students in third or fourth year of
university) because bacteria do not have nuclei.  I am not familiar with
the current state of research in this field any more, since it was back
around 1984 and 1985 that I worked in microbial biotechnology.

I am not working in the field of environmental biology.  Some of my work
involves reviewing clean-up of contaminated sites (remediation).  There
are occassions where bacteria are used for clean up of oily wastes and
petroleum products.  Some bacteria will use petroleum if there is little
other organic sources for growth.  Some companies produce these bacteria
in quantity for environmental engineering firms to utilize in
bioremediation projects.  i am not entirely familiar with the specific
techniques used.  However, I know that if you provide slightly elevated
concentrations of petroleum products in a nutrient mix to bacteria, you
will create a condition of natural selection in which the bacteria who
opportunistically utilize the petroleum product when there is little
other organic source available will grow more rapidly than other forms of
bacteria.  When repeated with increasing concentrations, you will then
have selected the bacteria with the petroleum-degrading capability in
greater numbers.  It is important however, to continue to provide other
nutrients to the bacteria.  Like other forms of life, bacteria require
such nutrients a nitrogen and potassium.  Therefore, in bioremediation
projects nutrients are also use in tandum with bacteria.  This is not
genetically altering the bacteria in this case; it is more like pushing
Darwin's natural selection to the limits.  It's very similar to what has
been done with animal breeding for centuries, except with bacteria, the
life cycle is less than 24 hours.

I can't give you any specific references for bacteria use in oil spills.
However, there was an article in Environmental Science and Technology
Journal in 1993 (Volume 27, page 691-698) called "Strategy Using
Bioreactors and Specially Selected Microorganisms for Bioremediation of
Groundwater Contaminated with Creosote and Pentachlorophenol" and was
written by James F. Mueller, Suzanne E. Lantz, Derek Ross, Richard J.
Colvin, Douglas P. Middaugh and Parmely H. Pritchard.  The first two
people are with SBP Technologies, Inc. in Gulf Breeze, FL.  Ross and
Colvin are with The ERM Group ( a environmental consulting firm), and
Middaugh and Pritchard are with the U.S. EPA in Gulf Breeze, FL.  The
studies were done at the American Creosote Works site in Pensacola, FL.
Some of the bacterial strains used included Pseudomonas sp. (sp.=
scientific notation meaning species was not identified, only genus).

Joseph, you may want to check some write-ups on the Exxon Valdez oil
spill in Alaska.  I'm not certain, but I recall that they might have used
a bacterial spray on some of the beaches impacted by the oil spill.

Good luck Joseph.

Corinne Severn, B.S.
EVS Environment Consultants