odor and humans

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu
Fri Dec 23 12:34:53 EST 1994

In article <D169uG.Moq at cix.compulink.co.uk>,
colinc at cix.compulink.co.uk ("Colin Cracknell") writes:
>>[my post]
>>In the case of menstrual syncing, the frequency mechanism
>>consists of a generator whose period (yeah, I know) is longer
>>than the menstrual period, and a correcting mechanism, probably
>>coupled to external factors.
>
>What external factors could cause individual women to have *consistent*
>cycles from < 28 days to > 31 days.

Dear Colin,
	I don't know what the factors are, but one speculation is that the free-
wheeling period is 31 days (or slightly larger) and the coupling strength for
the correcting mechanism varies with the individual.  Another speculation is
that the free-wheeling frequency varies with the individual.  In either case,
if the coupling to other females in the immediate environment (via either phy-
sical processes such as odor or social processes such as sympathy) is very
strong--not too far out an assumption for social primates--then the syncing
could occur.  Perhaps a real expert out there can enlighten us both.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol