Human growth question

Leonard F. Kuehner lkuehner at hookup.net
Fri Dec 23 13:10:18 EST 1994

In article <3da4ha$lr6 at bundy.hh.se> d94mae at hh.se (Mattias Erlo) writes:
>From: d94mae at hh.se (Mattias Erlo)
>Subject: Human growth question
>Date: 21 Dec 1994 20:51:54 GMT

>Is there a way to force the hypophysis to continue it's work
>of making your body grow? Or else, is there any other way to
>make the body grow once it's stopped? Please note that I'm
>not talking about growing in muscles but in length in general.
>                                            ------

>Mattias Erloe, d94mae at hh.se

The reason one's body stops growing in hight is because the epiphyseal joints
in the long bones osify (form bone) around the time of entry into puberty.  It
has been a long time since I have studied the basics of this area, but if I
recall correctly, testosterone plays a large role in causing the plates to
close.  If the individual is still prepubecent, and has a deficiency in human
growth hormone, then suplements can be added to allow continued growth.  If,
as you suggest, the pituitary continues after the plates have sealed, the
outcome is acromegaly (not certain of the spelling, it has been some time),
which is in effect the thickening of the bones.  This does not result in any
increase in hight, but does produce brow ridges and quite alot of secondary
broblems.

Hope this helps

Leonard