Qs about Taurine

Andrew McCaddon Andrew at mccaddon.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 18:19:29 EST 1994

In article <3dmk9h$koo at nuscc.nus.sg>
           scip4076 at leonis.nus.sg "Wong Tze Chin" writes:

> What are the biochemical, physiological properties of taurine? And
> where can taurine be extracted from naturally?
>
> I've tried checking books and even Biochemical supplies catalogues.
I have a photocopy of an article by a Kenneth C. Hayes entitled "Vitamin-like
molecules: Taurine", which is Chapter 24 pp464 - 470 in (wait for it) a book!
Unfortunately I don't have the complete reference but perhaps a database search
with this author's name would help. Taurine is an amino-acid derived from B6
dependent sulphur amino acid metabolism that may function as a modulator of
calcium flux. As well as being found in meat it is particularly abundant in
shellfish. (PS, this is my first outing on the internet so hope this message
gets through OK.)

-- Andrew McCaddon  Wrexham           The Internet:
                    Clwyd             One small step for me,
                    North Wales       One giant leap for my 'phone bill.