Cellpat.Txt, Organ donation?

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Tue Feb 1 19:54:45 EST 1994

In article <940201141535366 at bbs.puc.edu> yolanda.gurrola at bbs.puc.edu (Yolanda Gurrola) writes:

>We should all have the right to know what is going to happen to our
>organs or any other part of our body if we choose to give it away
>freely.  There should be signing of papers to make sure that all things
>are clear about the procedure.
>
>The giving away of tissues and organs is a delicate matter.  Some people
>think that ones organs are only meant for that one person, but others
>are nice enough to donate theirs to help someone else or to help with
>scientific research.  We should first ask before taking.

It seems that something went wrong with this post.  It may not have been
meant for this newsgroup.  I don't know if the author is ever going to
see this or not, but I have offer some assurances here about organ donation.

You have nothing to worry about.  There's a long list of carefully followed
laws regarding organ donation and anatomical gifts.  If you, or anyone
else is interested in the details, I have a file here that I would be more
than happy to send you.  Organ donation in America requires the written
consent of the deceased's next of kin.

Organs aren't just needed to "help" someone, they're needed to save people's
lives.  Transplantation is the last option for treatment of a life-threatening
condition.  There are nowhere near enough organ donations for all the people
waiting for a transplant.  UNOS, the agency that coordinates organ
donation and collects statistics on organ donation and transplantation,
reports that 3 to 7 people a day die while waiting for a donation that did
not come.  Denying donation means that someone else is going to die too.
Its important that everyone knows that they have nothing to fear from
organ donation and that consenting to donation will probably save someone's
life.

Michael Holloway
mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu