Tips on good Biophysics texts

Frederick Roth roth at husc7.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 3 10:06:21 EST 1994

In article <01H8EWP8VMOA001VLE at BEACH.UTMB.EDU> JPIPER at BEACH.UTMB.EDU (John Piper) writes:
>Greetings !
>
>	Is there anyone out there that could possibly recommend one (or a few)
>good textbooks on Biophysics ?  I am especially interested in anything on the
>physics of optical spectroscopy (UV-VIS and CD), X-ray diffraction, NMR, etc.
>I am currently enrolled in a course entitled "Biophysics of Macromolecules" and
>the consensus among the class is that our required text does not contain much
>information pertinent to the lecture material.  There must be some textbook
>which contains the information we are looking for in a more "user friendly"
>format.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>

>					John Piper
>					Graduate Student
>					University of Texas Medical Branch
>					Galveston, TX  77551

	In my experience, the standard against which intro biophysics
texts are measured in the above subjects is Cantor and Schimmel's
Biophysical Chemistry Vol. 1-3, W.H. Freeman and Co., New York, 1980:
	Vol 1 The Conformation of Biological Macromolecules
	Vol 2 Techniques for the Study of Biological Structure and Function
	Vol 3 The Behavior of Biological Macromolecules

	While a occasionally out of date (I would buy a new edition in a
second), I haven't seen better introductory treatments of the concepts
elsewhere.  If anyone else has, please let me know.

				-Fritz Roth
			(Graduate Student, Harvard Biophysics Program)