GRE scores:your opinion

M anon1167 at nyx10.cs.du.edu
Thu Feb 3 15:39:14 EST 1994

I believe that generally, GRE scores are used as sort of a minimum
cutoff, or filter.  fA department may requirea minimum verbal + quant of
1200.  This screeen out a bunch of potential applicants, but after this
point, not much attnetion is paid to GRE.  I'm sure it varies from
department ot department, though.

It seems that when I wsa in grad school, I read astudy about how entrance
committees weight various factos such as grades, GRE, letters.  As I
recall, undergrad gpa was weighted most heavily, then GRE scores, and
then letters.