Student (or other) questions- Yet another reply!

scottamy at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu scottamy at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Sat Feb 5 12:32:37 EST 1994

David Doak (doak at bioch.ox.ac.uk) wrote:

: It must very satisfying to be confident that one knows everything
: about a subject and therefore any questions or ideas originating
: from students are not worthy of even the tiny amount of time
: required to at least consider them.

(deleted)
: GRADUATE POST for ill informed witterings from people who
:               managed to scrape through their first degree.
(deleted)

and Terry A. Viancour (viancour at umbc.edu) answered:
> I think you may have missed the central point.  This thread is focusing on
> finding better ways of helping students.  One of my own goals is find ways
> to minimize derisive responses to student questions.....
> ...a need to modify things in the near future?

No, Terry.  I most respectfully disagree.  THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH THE SIMPLE,
OR EVEN LAZY, QUESTIONS FOR STUDENTS OR OTHERS, IT IS WITH THOSE THAT MAKE, AS
YOU SO APTLY PUT IT "... derisive responses...".  _You_ missed the point!

No one forces any of us to read or answer any postings-- we do it because we
choose to.  If we don't want to read or answer a posting, we can just skip it
and go on.  Leave postings by students in need of help to those who LIKE
answering them.
the "... derisive responses..." not those who ask questions.  Derisive response
 he "... derisive responses..." not those asking questions.  Derisive responses
indicate professional and personal imaturity in those making them.  The ones
making the answers are the real problem.

All of us are busy.  I don't spend much time answering questions in the groups-
most of them, including the ones _I_ sometimes ask, can actually be answered
with a little research in books or the library.  _WE_ ask the questions because
we con't know enough about the topic to know where to look, or, in some cases,
because we just want a simple answer, not to spend an afternoon in the
reference section.  Students that don't know where to begin researching a topic
should just be given a little direction and encouragement or just left alone to
find the information on their own.

Dersive answers don't stop people from being lazy-- they just ac.  Sufficient
direction to the "questioner" probably would not have taken more than the
amount of time the "answerer" spent fuming and fussing over the "derisive"
answer!

!!THIS WHOLE DISCUSSION ABOUT DEALING WITH STUDENT QUESTIONS HAS PROBABLY
TAKEN MORE TIME AND EFFORT THATN WOULD HAVE BEEN USED TO GIVE THE PROPER
ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

In closing: Please don't consider _MY_ response to be "derisive" (or
devisive!), it wasn't meant that way.  I also do NOT want to do the work for
lazy people, ANY lazy people!  I just think we should get on with the business
of being professional.  Let those who want to ask questions, ask them, those
that want to give _professional_, instructive answers, answer them, and the
rest of us can get on with reading posts, skipping posts, doing our research,
teaching those who want to be learners, etc.

				Scott Monks
			(scottamy at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu)

demonstrate how "lazy" the answerer was-- taking time enough to make the
.derisive" response, but not enough to give the proper direction-