Acronym Dictionary

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Mon Feb 7 17:54:25 EST 1994

In article <2j5rt7INNghr at bass.cis.ohio-state.edu>, casto at cis.ohio-state.edu (robert kenneth casto) writes:
> If your like me, you hate to look stupid.  There are so many acronyms for
> things that it boggles the mind.....
> I want to put together an acronym dictionary....
>
> The database will be in .dbf format but can also me put into Sybase or
> Oracle if people would like it.  I am going to make a DOS and Windows version
> of a program to query the information.  If a Unix version is wanted, please
> let me know and I will see what I can do.
>
> The format for submissions is as follows.
>
> I appreciate any submissions and they can be from any form of science and
> any source.  I know that just the military and computer science alone have
> thousands.  This database will be open to the general public for use and
> is intended to end a lot of the confusion that results from the use of
> these acronyms.
>
> Please send all replies to casto at cis.ohio-state.edu

> Robert K. Casto                 _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/  _/    _/
> casto at cis.ohio-state.edu       _/    _/  _/        _/    _/

Hello there,
	If you are looking for a source of predominantly *computer* acronyms
then there is a large list of them in the computer jargon file (aka: The
Hacker's Dictionary).  I seem to remember that this is available by Gopher
(and thus probably by WWW now).  If you want to obtain this by ftp then try;

	ftp.halcyon.com     (192.135.191.2)
	pub/jargon/jargon2910.ascii    (or jargon2910.ascii.Z for compressed)

	I hope your acronym database will concentrate upon biological terms
rather than computer terms.  Its quite a struggle keeping your head up when
being trampled by herds of CAT's, FISH and YAC's.  Will you also delve into
the Merck Index and give us a ready list of those obfuscated abbreviations?
	Good luck with your endeavour!
				Bernard

Usual Disclaimers: (Dog Ate My Keyboard)

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.