bioethics, distinguishing terms

mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu
Tue Feb 8 15:17:26 EST 1994

In article <2j8m1i$ev at threed.uchc.edu> lpaplaus at neuron.uchc.edu writes:
>In article <2im8kq$pab at ysics.physics.sunysb.edu>, mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu writes:
>Universities and biomedically oriented industries (pharmaceutical and
>biotech) have recently begun to organize campaigns to counter the public's
>general state of ignorance about what biomedical research is, how it is
>conducted, and why humane treatment of subjects (animal "and" human) is
>critical.

I've seen several excellent efforts like this directed at the public and,
most notably, at elected officials.  Have you considered a
disenfranchised constituency though: researchers.  Believe it or not,
most reseachers are so busy ducking the issue that they haven't a clue as
to what the controversy is really about.  There is no unified, clear,
message about "animal rights" coming from the research community.  A
recent issue of "The Scientist", for instance, clearly treats "animal
rights" as being synonymous with humane treatment and shows no
understanding that the goal of "animal rights" is the abolition of all
biomedical research using animals.

BTW, if anyone here is interested in educating themselves about this
topic that is nearly as important as were your next grant is coming from,
you can subscribe to the CFAAR (Coalition For Animals and Animal
Research) newsletter by writing to:

CFAAR
P.O.Box 2241
San Diego, CA  92192