What is a gene?

Mark D. Garfinkel garfinkl at iitmax.iit.edu
Wed Feb 9 12:28:22 EST 1994

	We've recently had a series of articles that raised & discussed
questions concerning "what is a chromosome?" and how to effectively
present this material to students.

	No less vexing, to me, is the question "what is a gene?" and how
to teach *that* body of ideas and data. This is a question that, both
from my own experience & from rumors I've heard over the years, can
blow away even a Ph.D.-candidacy-exam student because it seems so simple.

	Any thoughts on the matter?

--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: garfinkl at iitmax.acc.iit.edu)
My views are my own, which is why they're copyright 1994