definitionof life

suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.MPG.d400.de suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.MPG.d400.de
Fri Feb 11 04:00:23 EST 1994

Paul schlosser at beta.ciit.org wrote:
+ray at talbot.epidem.uwa.edu.au (Raymond Kan) writes:
+>Life: a phenomenon of matter and energy sustained by the self-replicating
+>and coding properties of nucleic acids.
+                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+Why must it be by nucleic acids?  What about hypothetical life from another
+planet that uses something else?

i think the definition is GREAT ! all lifeforms that we
know use some nucleic acid as the matrix that defines them,
and this, most importantly, is duplicated and passed on to the next
generations.
forget about hypothetical lifeforms from another planet: we can adjust the
definition if you show me one (i will buy you and it a beer!). Besides, are
you so sure that there is extraterrestrial life ?imho the cchanges are in favor
of us being the only ones in the universe.

according to this definition, humans, fungus, virus, even transposons and
viroids are lifeforms, whereas single body cells, red blood cells, mRNA
aren't.

cheers,
clemens
Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Zuechtungsforschung
Abteilung Genetische Grundlagen der Zuechtungsforschung
Carl-von-Linne Weg 10,        D-50829 Koeln, Germany
Tel.xx49.221.5062-221    Fax.-213      e-mail: suter at vax.mpiz-koeln.mpg.d400.de