cell patenting

ROBERT BOOT, HERSTON MEDICAL LIBRARY mail_boot at uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au
Sun Feb 13 00:39:34 EST 1994

In article <940210193044556 at bbs.puc.edu>, larry.won at bbs.puc.edu (Larry Won) writes:
>     I would have to agree with Moore and others who believe that a
> person has a right to know and decide what happens to their bodily
> cells, organs and fluids.  No one can argue that organs and parts of
> a person's body are personal property, more so than something he/she
> buys from a store.  So how can there be laws punishing someone for
> stealing another's impersonal property but nothing against taking
> someone's body parts and utilizing for what they need.  It doesn't seem
> to add up.  Maybe a person will be selfish and not allow others to gain
> from some part of their body they don't need but that is their right.
>     It's like the organ donor idea.  Many people don't want you toying
> with their body long after they have no use for it anymore so how much
> more strongly will they feel about it while they are alive.  A person's
> body and all that comes in it are one of their most important
> possessions and I think they have every right to decide what is done
> with components of their body.

If the person is still alive I think the matter may be a contractual one.
However, if the person is having an organ removed, I do not believe it
belongs to anyone unless arrangements have been made.

Whatever, the law may say, I think it nonsense that a corpse or its
relatives have any rights to its component parts at all.