Mitochondria, Plastids and DNA inheritance

Jim Cummins cummins at possum.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Feb 14 02:44:43 EST 1994

" Direct evidence of plastid DNA and mitochondrial DNA in sperm cells
in relation to biparental inheritance of organelle DNA in Pelargonium
zonale by fluorescence electron microscopy" A Kuroiwa,et al  Eur J
Cell Biol  (1993) 62: 307-313
According to this paper's abstract both plastids and mitochondria
contain DNA and may show  biparental inheritance.

Two questions
(1) Is there any other evidence that plastids contain unique DNA?
(2) Is there any other evidence of biparental inheritance of
non-nuclear DNA?  I thought maternal inheritance was obligatory.

PS (I'm sure not to be alone in this :^)) What is a plastid?
Jim Cummins
School of Veterinary Studies
Murdoch University
Western Australia 6150  Tel +61-9-360 2668 Fax +61-9-310 4144
"An inordinate fondness for Beetles"