Mitochondria, Plastids and DNA inheritance

Stephen J Bungard sbungard at zenecabp.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 10:07:47 EST 1994

In article <2jsc2n$fhs at overload.lbl.gov> deh at s27w007.pswfs.gov writes:

> stuff deleted....
>
> >parent would always be eliminated and conflict avoided. Usually
> >the maternal contribution survives, but not always (conifers have
> >paternal inheritance). In protozoa, matings are often between two
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Actually, the situation in conifers is more complex.  Chloroplasts are
> usually paternally inherited, the mitochondria can be either maternally or
> paternally inherited, depending on the species.  I believe there are also
> examples of biparental inheritance.  Heteroplasmy may also occur.

Purely as a desire to overcome ignorance:  How does paternal inheritance
of organelle genomes occur in plants?  Are one or more whole organelles
included in pollen or just the DNA, and if the latter does it remain as a
separate entity from chromosomal DNA or is it integrated into or associated
with the chromosomal material?

Thanks,
--
Stephen J Bungard      aka  sbungard at zenecabp.demon.co.uk       |   DO NOT   |
 If there are opinions in the above, they are mine, all mine..  |THROW STONES|