mitochondria, plastids and DNA inheritance

Dave Harry deh at s27w007.pswfs.gov
Wed Feb 16 00:48:07 EST 1994

stuff deleted....

>parent would always be eliminated and conflict avoided. Usually
>the maternal contribution survives, but not always (conifers have
>paternal inheritance). In protozoa, matings are often between two

Actually, the situation in conifers is more complex.  Chloroplasts are
usually paternally inherited, the mitochondria can be either maternally or
paternally inherited, depending on the species.  I believe there are also
examples of biparental inheritance.  Heteroplasmy may also occur.

... just for the record.

David Harry                       Institute of Forest Genetics
deh at s27w007.pswfs.gov             USDA Forest Service, Pacific SW Station
Phone:  510/559-6439              PO Box 245
FAX:    510/559-6499              Berkeley, CA 94701