General interest questions

Cornelius Krasel krasel at
Thu Feb 17 07:53:48 EST 1994

hcorbett at wrote:

: What is the percent (roughly) difference between a mammalian and a plant
: genome?

Do you mean difference in size or difference in amino acid composition of
related proteins? Concerning size, what I can recall from a discussion
a while ago on this newsgroup (bionet.general) plant genome sizes can
differ vastly in size. The genome of Arabidopsis thaliana (that's one
of the genomes currently being under intensive investigation) is a
rather small one whereas certain plants (I think it was certain lily
species) can have genome sizes severalfold higher than the human genome.

/* email: krasel at                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */