Definition of Life

Jose Julian Blanc Ju mcbjjbj at LEONIS.NUS.SG
Wed Feb 16 20:56:33 EST 1994

On Wed, 9 Feb 1994, Rafael N Szeinfeld wrote:
> On 9 Feb 1994, Julian Blanc wrote:
>
> > This definition excludes fire, vortexes, planets, replicating clay crystals,
> > priests and cellular automata. It includes, however, free replicating
> > informational molecules such as nucleic acids, which is pretty neat.
> >
> > Julian Blanc
> >
> 	Hi,
> 	I would like if you explain better what you mean with variation
> and as I suppose, how  these requeriment excludes crystal growth. Indeed,
> a DNA molecule can not be classified as a living thing.

By variation I mean errors in replication, crossover in meiosis and, in
general, anything that causes a replicator to be different from its
parent(s). This doesn't exclude clay crystal growth, but heredity does.

> 	What if we say that life has nothing special than a crystal (for
> exemple) has ? It's just another form of organization of molecules.
> Sounds strange ? let's discuss it!

Actually, that's exactly the way I feel about life. Another form of
molecular organization possessing certain characteristics (replication,
variation and heredity,) which make it so interesting as to require a
whole field of study devoted to it. And a definition.

Julian Blanc