General interest questions

Al Thompson art at world.std.com
Thu Feb 17 15:07:45 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb17.023022.13337 at yuma> arsmith at lamar.ColoState.EDU (Alan Smith) writes:

   In article <2ju5gv$g76 at agate.berkeley.edu> hcorbett at garnet.berkeley.edu () writes:
   >Why do salmon die after reproduction (also worded as, why can't they
   >undergo gametogenesis more than one time in their lives)?

   They never got selected for more than one?  Maybe going up a western American
   river and breeding takes too much energy for them to be able to go back
   downstream.  Remember their food scource is in the ocean.

But, the steelhead and sea run cutthroat trout both go up stream and back
to the ocean many times.

   I seem to remember hearing that atlantic salmon actually do make repeat
   trips.

Atlantic salmon are trout, not true salmon.