the more advanced species

Antonio Guia guia at CC.UManitoba.CA
Thu Feb 17 21:24:21 EST 1994

It has always been my belief that ALL species continue to evolve through
the course of time, such that the paramecium is just as advanced as a
human in terms of evolutionary adaptation to its environment.  The only
measure that we have of the fitness of a species is, after all, how well
it deals with its environment.  This would mean that man did not come from
ape, and ape did not come from monkey, etc on down the line, but instead
man and ape both came from a common, more primitive ancestor, which shared
enough traits with both man and ape to have been the source of the lineage.

With this in mind, when I see information in texts, and when I hear
conversations stating that man is more advanced than fish, or plants, or
even the paramecium, I usually take it to mean the complexity of the
organism, rather than how advanced it is.

With this prelude, is it correct to say that man is the more advanced, or
among the more advanced species on the planet?    I have not done any
comparative genetics studies, so I don't know much about how many genes
other species have, but I do know that the human genome contains many
repetitions of the same or similar genes, so I guess that would detract
somewhat from the complexity.

Comments and discussion are invited.  I see this kind of belief
everywhere, and would like to know if I'm somewhere out in left field in
believing that humans are not necessarily the most advanced species on the
planet.

-tg