General interest question / alcohol metabolism

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Sat Feb 19 04:01:29 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.05.9402182232.A9203-9100000 at ccu.umanitoba.ca>, guia at CC.UManitoba.CA (Antonio Guia) writes:
> On 18 Feb 1994, Paul Schlosser wrote:
> > Drinking alcohol causes induction of cytochrome P450 2E1 (in the liver),
> > a principle enzyme in alcohol metabolism.  So as your average consumption
> > goes up, so does your metabolism.
>
> That being the case, why do alcoholics get drunk on less alcohol than the
> first time drinkers?
>
> -tg

Is this really a fact?  I assume that it could appear so if alcoholics
maintained their blood alcohol level at a point where the addition of a
small amount ("less than first time drinkers") would lead to a more profound
clinical effect.  Also, it must be a little hard to differentiate between the
effects of too much and too little in an alcoholic without blood levels.
I am not aware that the inducibility of CYP2E1 is enhanced or reduced in
alcoholics but would be interested to hear otherwise.
			Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.