what is life?

Mark Petrie ef949 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Wed Feb 23 19:27:24 EST 1994

I have to agree with clemens on this matter, for the simple
reason that it is hard enough to package life as we know it
into a cute little definition, let alone trying to include
possible and yet undiscovered life forms, that may or may
not exist. When and if we find a new form of life, then the
definition should change. As I had stated earlier with
all definitions you must realize they they are continualy
changing in light of new knowledge. The key there is new
knowledge, which precedes the changing of definitions.
I have recently pondered why must we package everything
(living and non) into cute little words or phrases? Is it
a quest for organization or to rationize matter into a
anthropocentric view? Just a little thought:)
				Mark
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of a plant
or animal, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole
is good, then every part of it is good, whether we understand
it or not."                -Aldo Leopold