Etiquette

Dan Diaz bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Fri Feb 25 00:50:41 EST 1994

In a previous article, FERRIS at WUSTLB.WUSTL.EDU (Patrick Ferris) says:

>>From: joni.self at bbs.puc.edu (Joni Self)
>>Subject: genetest.txt
>
>>  I do agree that it is good to know about inherited
>>disorders to prevent the passing on of a bad gene, such as the case of
>>the Jews.  However, I wouldn't prevent them from marrying, necessarily,
>>but just from having children.
>
>>People want a simple answer to complex problems such as homosexuality,
>>alcoholism, crime and vilolence, etc.
>
>  Allright. I can tolerate bad writing and poor argumentation in
>the name of scientific literacy, but I don't appreciate finding
>racist and homophobic remarks here. These comments don't
>belong on bionet.general, IMO.
>
>Patrick Ferris

oh, shut the hell up you pompous ass.  before you go accusing people of
racism and the rest, do some careful reading.  there are genetic disorders
common to Jews, even as sickle cell anemia is most commonly seen in Blacks.
Pointing out medical facts is not racism.  Neither should a comment about
the penchant for simple answers be seen as hatred of homosexuals.  in any
case, the bionet, and science, are about answering questions and solving
conflicts with evidence.  this is not about political correctness.  if you
dont like to read things which offend you, turn the monitor off, pull the
shades down and contemplate your own existence.  the rest of us are happy
enough to let the debate rage on, knowing that we can only benefit from the
presence of heretics, real or imagined.

diz