General interest questions

Rhett Valino Pascual gldnbear at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 27 02:59:34 EST 1994

In article <2ju5gv$g76 at agate.berkeley.edu>,
 <hcorbett at garnet.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>Do men get breast cancer?

Someone already answered this, but I wanted to give a more descriptive
view.  Human males do get breast cancer but this is quite rare.  One
reason is the presence of testosterone in the body.  As far as I know,
the reason for cancer of the breast is not quantitatively known.  That is
to say that we have models of how cancer can occur, but we don't know
whether our models hold for humans.

It is generally thought that proliferation of cells has something to do
with cancer.  In the male, proliferation of the breast epithelial cells
can be due to estrogen and other hormones such as prolactin and
corticoids and even growth factors.