Why do we sleep?

Naomi kestrel at unm.edu
Mon Feb 28 13:20:06 EST 1994

In article <9402251412.AA48342 at polywog.biology.uofs.edu>,
Brian T. Greuel <GREUELB1 at JAGUAR.UOFS.EDU> wrote:
>In article <2klfsi$fdj at polaris.unm.edu>, kestrel at unm.edu (Omi) writes:
>> With regard to the statement in a reply to "Why do we sleep", someone
>> suggested that it is a conservative measure for the body--a "catch-up"
>> time.  Is there some sort of mechanism that causes an increase in body
>> temp at this time?  I've discovered that my body temp goes up about 10
>> degrees immediately after I fall asleep, and have wondered at the
>> reason. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Kestrel
>>

>Surely you jest!  A 10 degree increase over any extended period of time would
>be lethal, wouldn't it?
>
>Brian Greuel
>Univ. of Scranton

My apologies--a bit of an exaggeration there.  The situation, as observed
from a second-hand viewpoint (as I am asleep at the time), is that, upon
falling asleep, my body starts to radiate quite a bit more heat than it
does under waking conditions.  I haven't noticed a similar radiation with
other adults, but have observed an increase in heat radiation by infants
during sleep cycles; I wonder if there may be a connection.  Personally,
the increase of temp when I fall asleep is dramatic enough for another to
tell immediately that I am "over the brink".  Has anyone else noticed this
phenomenon, or have a hypothesis about it?

Kestrel