Dominant/Recessive Genes

Toby Bradshaw toby at
Mon Feb 28 17:08:49 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb28.185850.18629 at>,
Brian Foley <brianf at> wrote:
>Haploid organisms, even if only a small portion
>of their life cycle is haploid, play by different rules.

I can't think of a sexually reproducing organism that *doesn't*
have a haploid life history stage upon which selection can act.
I'm willing to hear about some exceptions, though :)

So, how are organisms with primarily haploid life cycles
playing by different rules than organisms with relatively
brief haploid stages?  It seems to me to be a difference
of degree, not of kind.

Toby Bradshaw                       |
Department of Biochemistry          |  Will make genetic linkage maps
and College of Forest Resources     |            for food.
University of Washington, Seattle   |
toby at               |