Dominant/Recessive Genes

Administrator root at ballison.extern.ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 4 01:04:55 EST 1994

   I was wondering if anyone knew exactly why a cell chooses
one gene over another in dominant genes (in some cases co-dominance).
Is there a specific nucleotide sequence in the DNA that tells if a gene/trait
is to be dominant or recessive?  Such as when producing proteins,
there is a start and stop sequence telling the cell which amino acids
are appropriate for a protein.  Is it a possibility that the first cell's
DNA was completely pure (dominant), and during evolution and mutations
created a recessive factor?  However, some genetic diseases have dominant
hereditary (such as Epilepsy).  Would it be possible to "turn off"
the nucleotides that specify Epilepsy is a dominant trait.  If this
is possible, wouldn't it be possible to unlock hidden abilities
within us that are recessive?  As far as I know, there are a lot of
nucleotides in DNA which are recessive (and unidentified) and have never
been "activated".  Just some interesting thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

--
Ryan                                    | "A fanatic is one who can't change
Univ of Calif, San Diego                | his mind and won't change the