ranking biological success

James LYONSW at UCONNVM.bitnet
Mon Jan 10 08:18:24 EST 1994

First, consider the topic.  If we are looking for a ranking biological
success, Homo sapiens serves well as a model for the OTHER definition of
RANK, i.e., growing with excessive luxuriance...having an offensively
strong smell.
Second, the problem with selfish DNA arguments is that at no time in
MOST species can DNA exist with any degree of success without individuals,
and vice versa, so that we must conclude that an individual and its DNA
(or DNA and its indivdual) represent a single entity.  I cannot exist with
out my mouth, but I ascribe very little of my rare successes to it.  It cannot
exist without me.  It is a part of me, and I am dependent on it. My DNA
is likewise a part of me, albeit a very seminal part and all-important part,
but since I cannot define myself as being without DNA, it and I are one.
There are times, however, that I do believe that my mouth is a separate
entity...