ranking biological success

Jim Cummins cummins at possum.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jan 10 20:36:24 EST 1994

> Is not a species,regardless of any biological number that is afixed to it
>successful if
>it succeeds in its ecosystem by reproducing from generation to generation
>regardless of its mass or ploidy or what ever other number that we
>attach to it?
 >
>Phil McClean
 >mcclean at plains.nodak.edu

 I agree with Phil. We can only really define success of a species in
 negative terms, if it goes extinct!  I'm using the term here in its
literal
sense - the process of succeeding, or following from generation to
generation.  I suspect that by trying to define "success" we need to
take a
 lateral look at why we are asking the question in the first place:
what and
why do we need to define it?  Are we talking about dominance?  That's a
different issue entirely.