Pneumonia Bacteria

Peter Herman x5495 rpeter at nmsu.edu
Sat Jan 15 01:30:39 EST 1994

In article <758521734.AA05377 at rochgte.fidonet.org> David.Rye at f10.n3649.z1.fidonet.org (David Rye) writes:
>    As a new microbio student I was pleased to be able to obtain a sputum
>sample from a patient with pneumonia.  Supposing that the infection is
>bacterial instead of viral, what types of bacteria am I likely to find in such
>a culture?  I am expecting several types of coccus but was wondering if I
>might be likely to see any others which are not just oportunistic "Johnie come
>latelies".  Thanks.
>
>                                                        Dave

forgive me in advance for sounding like a crabby, conservative,
safety concious old man but...

If you have not got enough microbiology experience to know what
kinds of bugs to expect in a sputum from a pneumonia patient, you
have absolutely no business handeling such a sample.  Human
pathogens should be taken very seriously and only handled by people
with sufficient training to assure that they do not expose
themselves and others to inadvertant infection.

Now, to answer what you asked.  Streptococcus pneumoniae is a common
cause of bacterial pneumonias.  Klebsiella pneumoniae is less common
as are a number of others.  You can expect to find all sorts of
"normal flora " if the sample was not carefully collected, much
less if it is a " clean" sputum