The Race for the Double Helix (A&E Thursday)

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Sat Jan 15 12:20:47 EST 1994

In article <1994Jan14.203132.10052 at netnews.wku.edu> pinnick at wkuvx1.wku.edu
(CASSANDRA PINNICK, WKU Philosophy) writes:
[Re: _Race for the Double Helix_]

>	AARGH!@#%@!  too late!! I've been waiting to get a tape of
>this because I want to show it to my Philosophy and History of Science
>course.
>	Anyway, thanks for the posting.  This is, actually, quite a
>good film of the historical events -- once one gets past visions of
>Jeff G. in "The Fly" remake -- except for the portrayal, IMO, of R.
>Franklin:  lots of sexism here.

No question in my mind that Rosalind Franklin got a raw deal.  However,
my memory of the movie (I saw it several years ago) is that she received
a much fuller characterization in the movie that in Watson's book, for
example!

For those interested, I highly recommend a book entitled _Rosalind
Franklin and the Search for DNA_ (by Sayres, I think); sorry about the
half-brained reference but I'm at home and my book's at work.  Anyone
who wants the right reference and cannot find it, e-mail me.

Jim
Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS