Bacterial Filamentation

Bernard Heymann bheymann at bragg.bio.purdue.edu
Wed Jan 19 16:33:34 EST 1994

In article <CJMzou.9oF at knot.ccs.queensu.ca>,
faguyd at methanogenone.microbio.queensu.ca (David Faguy) wrote:

> In <CJ9ptA.25n at freenet.carleton.ca>, ah645 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (J.C  Imbeault) writes:
> >     I'm a new graduate student and as my research project I'm studying
> >filamentation in an archaebacterium. It seems that the phenotype is due to the
> >loss of one of it's megaplasmids.

In E. coli the phenomenon of filamentation is often linked to growth
conditions.
For example, I have found that when I grow the strain JC411 under oxygen-
limiting conditions, septation between dividing cells seems to occur at a
much lower frequency, resulting in cells as much as ten times longer than
cells grown under oxygen-sufficient conditions. Of course, these phenotypes
are mediated by alteration of the expression of a variety of proteins, and
one can find mutants ( = select for) that display only the filamentous
phenotype even under oxygen-sufficient conditions.

I hope this information is of use.

--
Bernard Heymann
bheymann at bragg.bio.purdue.edu