"The secret life of plants"

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Sun Jan 23 16:38:27 EST 1994

James (LYONSW at UCONNVM.bitnet) wrote:
: You've got my interest.  Now, what specific claims are made in the
: book, which, if "true", would have such profound implications? (I have
: not read the book; I'd like a bit more specific information.

	The book claimed that plants had emotions and so on.  The author
claimed to have hard data that plants could read his mind.  If he was
planning to do an experiment involving burning a plants' leaves the
plants in the next room would get nervous and show spikes of electrical
activity.
	I thought the whole thing was very bogus, becuase he could prove
that the spikes of activity were due to his planning an experiment.  How
does he know that the plants were not just upset about a lawnmower
down the street maiming a few hundred thousand leaves of grass?  Why
did the plants respond only to the authors actions?
	The author also went on to claim that the plants mindreading skills
involved forces that travelled faster than the speed of light.  He
may have been very good at measuring electrical activity in plants
but he was not very good at performing carefully controlled, logical
experiments.