"The secret life of plants"

John Woods eanv20 at castle.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 04:53:17 EST 1994

brianf at med.uvm.edu (Brian Foley) writes:

 	The book claimed that plants had emotions and so on.  The author
 claimed to have hard data that plants could read his mind.  If he was
 planning to do an experiment involving burning a plants' leaves the
 plants in the next room would get nervous and show spikes of electrical
 activity.
 	I thought the whole thing was very bogus, becuase he could prove
 that the spikes of activity were due to his planning an experiment.  How
 does he know that the plants were not just upset about a lawnmower
 down the street maiming a few hundred thousand leaves of grass?  Why
 did the plants respond only to the authors actions?
 	The author also went on to claim that the plants mindreading skills
 involved forces that travelled faster than the speed of light.  He
 may have been very good at measuring electrical activity in plants
 but he was not very good at performing carefully controlled, logical
 experiments.

I seem to remember that the spikes being picked up were later found to
be caused by the people who walked passed them, acting as antenna for
natural human electrical activity.  Or is this just as much of a
legend?

						... John Woods

--
"
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit (Virgil)