call for continental drift program(s)

Margriet Dijkhuis margriet at bio.vu.nl
Tue Jan 25 09:33:39 EST 1994

KEYWORDS: biogeography, paleontology, continental drift, dispersal of
organisms.

Hello

I am a biology student in Amsterdam at the Free University in the last
fase of my study. My current project is to make a program for a course
(evolution and diversity) in the first year. In this program I want to
visualise the dispersal and eventual extinction of spieces in the course
of time on a changing world (continental drift). My time is limited (6
months) and the program complex. That's why I am looking for a
continental drift program as a geological base to start with.

Requirements/wishes:
- A continental drift program for Apple Macintosh (preferred), MS-DOS
with MS-WINDOWS or SUN with OpenWindows.
- be able to give a start and final-time in milj. of years or even for the
Holoceen in thousend of years.
- be able to add my own data about species.
- has a natural projection in which you see half of the earh as if from a
spacecraft.
- be able to see the earth from different sides eg. with the 0 meridian
through the center or the 180 meridian or even the north or south pole
in the center.
- it would be nice to be able to see where landbridges, iceshelfs,
mountains, big rivers and other barriers that influence the dispersal of
species are situated.
- also it would be nice to be able to add pictures or recontructions of
species in a corner of the screen.
- be able to add climatic information.

Do you know such a program or a program that partly meets these
requierment/wishes? Or do you have any suggestions or information
that might help me? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks

Emailadress: 		margriet at bio.vu.nl

or write to me directly:Margriet Dijkhuis
			Free University of Amsterdam
			Dept. of Biology
			room B 402
			de Boelelaan 1087