Evolution and Entropy

Paul Repacholi prep at yarrow.wt.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jan 29 07:47:25 EST 1994

In article <hurd.759667755 at sfu.ca> hurd at fraser.sfu.ca (Peter L. Hurd) writes:

> jruspini at mail.sas.upenn.edu (Jason M Ruspini) writes:
> >I'm wondering if someone can help me with a question concerning evolution and
> >entropy.   I am arguing with someone on alt.christnet over whether evolution
> >contradicts entropy.   I say that it does not because the internal physical
> >order gained by a biological system is outweighed by the external chemical
> >disorder it causes when it evolves.

Non question. IE, the 'answers' "aren't even wrong".
LIFE contradicts entropy, as do rocks, clouds... But you will find that this
requires large energy inputs, so the TD is fine.

> I'd suggest you look for a book called _evolution as entropy_, but IMHO
> your time would be better spent whacking your thumb with a hammer than
> debating with chistians, or reading the aforementioned book,
> you no doubt want some authors on that book, one of them is Wiley I think.

Hum, I consider evolution to be modelable as a multi-dimensional simulated
anealing, where the 'goodness' evaluation rules are subject to random
change. Guess you could try anealing your thumb with a hammer.

BTW, have you asked you christian friends how large this supposed violation
is? Have they actually done the calculation? Yeah, sorry, retorical question
I know.

--
~Paul

prep at yarrow.wt.uwa.edu.au ( prefered )