*Evolution as Entropy

James LYONSW at UCONNVM.bitnet
Fri Jan 28 10:01:18 EST 1994

jruspini at mail.sas.upenn.edu (Jason M Ruspini) writes:
>I'm wondering if someone can help me with a question concerning
evolution and
>entropy.   I am arguing with someone on alt.christnet over whether
evolution
>contradicts entropy.   I say that it does not because the internal
physical
>order gained by a biological system is outweighed by the external
chemical
>disorder it causes when it evolves.

Don't confuse biological growth in individuals with biological growth
of populations or species (Darwin forbid communities!).  As an individual
grows, moves, or lives, it decreases the relative order of its surroundings.
In a closed ecosystem, evolution can occur which either increases, decreases,
or does not effect the order around the group of organisms.  This would
depend on two factors: the population sizes of the new species, and the
number of new species.  Any level of organization (order) represents a
momentary ordering somewhere in the universe, or a temporary failure of
entropy, but until we know how much mass is moving at what speed, we will not
know the ultimate fate of our universe; it will either go through
infinite cycles of collapse and expansion (which would would in favor of the
first law of thermodynamics), expand infintely and reach a stable, uniform,
very cool temperature, or it will collaspe onto itself one last time without
enough energy for another expansionin one relatively warm mass of matter and
energy.

Then there is the argument that the big bangs which occur repeatedly after
total contraction occur with such force along the matter, energy, space and
time vectors that the universe is totally recreated with each bang.  Every
universe is postulated to exist with slightly (or majorly) different proportion
of space, energy, time and matter such that the laws of physics as we know them
may only exist within this , one of a series, of universes.  This is so, then
universes could exist wihtout time, or without space, or without matter, or
without energy.  If any of these permutations were to occur, it would be
possible that a universe could be created in which, for example, there was no
time, and all would cease to exist entirely (to an hypothetical outside observe
r).  I therefore predict an end to infinity itself (if the rexpansions
allocate different proportions to each vector).