Evolution and Entropy

Peter L. Hurd hurd at fraser.sfu.ca
Thu Jan 27 05:49:15 EST 1994

jruspini at mail.sas.upenn.edu (Jason M Ruspini) writes:
>I'm wondering if someone can help me with a question concerning evolution and
>entropy.   I am arguing with someone on alt.christnet over whether evolution
>contradicts entropy.   I say that it does not because the internal physical
>order gained by a biological system is outweighed by the external chemical
>disorder it causes when it evolves.

Like the way the formation of a large molecule can increase entropy
by disrupting the aquesous crystal lattice structure it sits in?

> Is this basically correct?   Have there
>been any studies concerning entropy and biological systems?  What have been
>their results/ or where can I find them?

I'd suggest you look for a book called _evolution as entropy_, but IMHO
your time would be better spent whacking your thumb with a hammer than
debating with chistians, or reading the aforementioned book,

you no doubt want some authors on that book, one of them is Wiley I think.

Cheers,
-P.
--
Pete Hurd, pete at zool.su.se |  The publication costs of this article were
Zoologiska Institutionen   | defrayed in part by page charge payment. This